Tuesday, March 27, 2012

An Author Trope of mine

I got sucked into wasting some time on TV Tropes, and some of the most interesting ones to me are those about the workings of the Author-- their particular styles, beliefs, preferences, even kinks --emerging in their work. Some of them were creepy and weird, some of them we just about themes they liked exploring. Which made me think about what I like to tackle a lot. I could name a lot of general things, like guilt and redemption, but there's one thing much more specific than that which springs to mind. I'm sure there are others, but this one occurs strongly to me right now.

I have written or at least conceived of several protagonist who are strongly affected by their paralyzing fear of confessing their feelings to the person they love. And it's not simply for fear of rejection; there's a level of denial in there, believing that they are unworthy of that person and therefore should not presume. Most importantly, there's the conviction that this person is it, the one, and once they receive the rejection they're fairly sure is coming then they've not only humiliated themselves, they're no longer able to even hold out hope anymore. Cassander is my first example of this, whose entire arc is overcoming this. I am also working on Sundan, whose arc is conversely how he allows this to destroy himself and everyone around him. There's a small bit of this in Gabriel, but it's part of his generally issue with feeling less than worthy and isn't the defining aspect of it. There may be others elsewhere in my writing, but those probably exemplify it most strongly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...