Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Auditioning well is its own reward

Had a couple of auditions last night, and whatever happens I am pleased with how I did. One was for a Sherlock Holmes play based on a combination of several stories with a little artistic license. It wasn't the most artfully constructed play in the world and didn't demonstrate what I'd consider to be a very strong understanding of Holmes, but it looked interesting and I've always liked the subject matter so I figured why not. I almost didn't do it because the information said it was looking for people who can do British accents, and mine isn't that good, but the only role I was appropriate for was that of Irene Adler, who is actually an American, so I decided to give it a shot. I've gotten twitchy about tryouts after so much disappointment recently, but lo and behold, I actually think it was the best audition I've given in recent memory. Not that it's a contest per se, but I'm certain I was better than the other women I saw read. Even if I don't get that role, which I probably won't, I think I earned it, which I am determined to feel good about.

The second audition was for an audio drama produced by the Post-Meridian Radio Players, the group that did Mask of Inanna and is closely associated with Theatre@First with whom Jared has done As You Like It and Pride and Prejudice. I read a lot of different parts and endeavored to deliver a different performance for each of them, which I think I managed to do. I also was pleasantly surprised to run into Neil Marsh, the very nice gentleman who came by to help Bernie and I with tips on how to proceed with recording Tailor. So overall it was a very positive experience and again, even if I don't get cast, I feel good about what I did. That feeling will help me stay encouraged to keep trying, which is the only way I'll ever get anywhere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...