Sunday, February 12, 2012

Strapless white gown with net overlay; or, why Phoebe shouldn't be allowed in thrift stores anymore

So for three of the last four days I went on long walks where I got in the ten thousand steps they say you should shoot for to use walking as a form of exercise. I'm pleased with myself. I also ran errands in the process, including culling some unwanted articles of clothing and dropping them off at the thrift store. Unfortunately, I can't seem to enter a thrift store without poking around a little to refill the storage space I just freed up. Which means I brought home another fancy dress I didn't need and don't have nearly enough occasion to wear.


It's a white polyester satin with a tulle overlay that is wrapped around the bodice such that it overlaps in front and makes a neat split-petal effect on the skirt. The bodice has plastic boning in it to keep it in place. I've never owned a strapless dress before, but this fits nicely and stays up well. And it finally occurred to me to find a shot timer app for my iPhone so I could take pictures of myself that didn't block out my face. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to allow the camera to focus, which results in a much higher quality picture, but this isn't bad. I could see this as a great wedding dress costume, if I ever want one that is a little younger, more modern, and sexier than the real wedding gown I have that I think dates from the 70s.

Obligatory bodice shot. I really like the little gold branch details on the net:


I like it a lot, but I really have too many fancy thrift store dresses at this point. It's especially silly since I'm planning to start sewing stuff for myself. I have made a lot of progress through my text, Sew Everything Workshop, and am approaching the section where it walks you through actual projects, so the last thing I need to do is fill my closet with more clothes I don't need.

Ah, well. It's not like it costs me much, and I do get real pleasure from them. I guess I'll just have to throw another fancy party where I change outfits every hour to give myself an opportunity to wear them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...