Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sewing project: ballet skirt

So I finished the ballet skirt I've wanted to make myself for a while now. I found a pattern drafted by the talented and hilarious blogger The Selfish Seamstress, printed it out, and taped it together. The fabric I chose was a black polyester georgette with a magenta and tan rose print on it. I liked the look of it and it would match two out of my three ballet leotards. I cut out what was basically a large half-circle of the fabric, then I double-folded the waistband over a length of grosgrain ribbon and pinned it in place, which was tough because of how shifty the georgette is. But when I sewed it, it came out okay.


Then I sewed a zigzag stitch near to the bottom edge. The fabric is ravelly and I wasn't sure how to hem something of this shape, so I thought I'd make a border and then trim it.


The stitching seems to have pulled together a little too tightly, but I actually think that's a good thing because now there's raised line at the edge that kind of feels like cord. It made it easier to trim the excess without cutting the thread.


It came out okay except that the stitching prevents one corner of it from laying flat. But it's not that noticeable. This is how it looks on Adelaide, the name I finally picked for my dress form, who is currently fashionably wearing a see-through skirt with an ostrich feather hat.


I will wear it to ballet this Tuesday and see how it works. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...