Monday, February 6, 2012

Costuming for Ariadne and Irene!

The costume pieces I ordered for Ariadne and Irene Adler have arrived! I am extremely pleased with them. The Grecian-style gown is absolutely lovely, made of a lush crinkled velveteen in a sumptuous color. The straps are watered silk, smooth and luscious against the skin, and they work by crisscrossing behind the neck over the back and then wrapping around the waist. I like the detailing, and I feel like looks quite appropriate for an ancient Greek costume. It's actually a couture gown, BCBGMaxAzria, in new condition but bought off eBay for a fraction of the price. It's a wee bit big for me, despite being a size XS, but it still drapes nicely, though the bottom of the hem drags a little. I think it looks nice on me.


And the obligatory closeup on the bodice. Despite the fact that the gown does not really allow for the wearing of foundation garments, I find it rather flattering to my bust.

The other thing I ordered was a hat off of Etsy to finish my look for Irene Adler. I could not find any strictly Victorian broad-brimmed hats that gave me the look I wanted that were in my price range, so I widened my search to include Kentucky Derby hats and church bonnets, and found some reasonable facsimiles. I'm not sure the silhouette of this hat is totally accurate, but I like the way it looks a lot, and I think it captures the spirit if not literally the style.

I am well pleased with my selections, and hereby stop myself from spending any further money on costuming for Intercon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...