Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sewing plans


Now that the house is more or less in order (except for the room painting, soon to come) I can turn my thoughts back to the projects I have been wanting to work on. I want to go back to sewing now that those pressing matters are taken care of, and here are some things currently on my mind.

1. Finish my red silk skirt.

My skirt is very close to completion at this point, lacking only a finished hem to make it accomplished. That shouldn't be too hard, as I enjoyed trying out the blind stitch, but I am concerned that the material is too thin to genuinely hide the sitches even if the blind hem is done properly. I look forward to wearing it somewhere, as it fits nicely and is actually kind of pretty.

2. Make a gift for katiescarlett29*

I want to take on another easy sewing project to practice my skills, and I also want to give a gift to Steph when she comes back. Since we like cooking together so much, I thought I would make her an apron out of some interesting fabric (in purple, of course), as that is both simple to construct and something she might like and use. Though I might buy the fabric sooner rather than later, I am planning on waiting till I have my sewing machine before I start on it.

3. Study up to make the two dress patterns I bought

Due to a large sale, I purchased two dress patterns, Butterick 5559 and Vogue 1117 by Michael Kors. I got them in the mail last week, and upon looking at them I think they are massively too hard for me right now. I don't even understand what all the words they use mean. I am going to have to study up on the terms so I understand the directions. That may require the obtaining of a good beginner's sewing text. I am open to recommendations if anyone knows a good one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...