Friday, June 10, 2011

FINISHED: full gathered skirt in red dupioni

I have finished my very first handmade garment!


After finishing the hem yesterday, my red silk dupioni skirt is done. I confess I'm not a hundred percent confident in my work there. Though it was possible to do the blind stitch on the silk, it was very tough to just pick up one thread of the material at a time, and there are many needlemarks from my false starts. They pressed out to a certain degree, and they're not screamingly obvious, so I guess it's all right. I'm nervous that it won't hold; the single threads of dupioni are very thin. And I think I made a mistake in only folding the hem up once rather than twice. It occurred to me that I could use double-sided hemming tape to hold it in place, at least until I sewed it properly, but since the tape isn't permament anyway I decided I'd just stick with keeping it pinned until the stitches were in. We'll see if it holds. One thing I learned is to use a very fine needle when blind stitching something like this, as it makes it easier to just pick up the single thread of the fabric. In general I prefer a larger needle because it's easier to handle, but I switched my favored size out to do this job right.


I wore it to work today. This is what it looks like on me, more or less; the photograph doesn't really convey the fullness or the slightly flared silhouette. I don't think I've ever worn a full skirt before, so the shape is new and interesting to me. I think I am satisfied. The fit is good when worn around my hips, and though it may be a wee longer than what I was hoping for but I can always shorten it later if I want. (Though when would a silk skirt ever be appropriate in a situation where it would be all right for it to come much above my knees? Heehee.) I am kind of hoping somebody compliments me on it or something, so I can say, "Thanks, I made it!' :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...