Thursday, May 17, 2012

Plie in heels

Ever heard of a "click moment"? An instance where due to looking at something in a particular way makes something suddenly make more sense to you than it ever had before?

I had a small once last night when I discovered something interesting. I was at rehearsal, waiting off to the side for my cue to enter. I started idly practicing some ballet steps, holding on to a study carrel like a bar in the high school library where we rehearse. I especially like to practice developpes, because they're so difficult for me, incorporated into some basic routines we use in class.

I've never had a very deep demi-plie in fifth. I can go reasonably low in first and extremely low in second, but not at all in fifth. But last night it seemed remarkable, without even stretching or warming up, I was getting much, much deeper than I ever did in class. I wracked my brain trying to figure out what was different until I realized. I was wearing character shoes, bought specifically for this role as Irene Adler. Very low ones, only an inch high, unfortunately; I was in a rush when I got them, but if I'd had more time I would have sought out slightly higher heels. But when you do a demi-plie in fifth you're supposed to keep your heels flat on the ground, limiting your bend to how long your Achilles tendons can stretch from that position. In my case I guess that's not much. But with my heels even one inch higher off the ground than usual, I could bend many inches deeper than otherwise. It was strange what a huge difference just one inch off the ground made. And it highlighted how important it is for me to keep my body position in mind when I dance.

Not a big deal, I guess. But it kind of blew my mind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...