Monday, December 19, 2011

Recipe for Inaccessible Rice

Recently I made this complicated wild rice dish I learned from my mother for a couple of HTP functions, because the lovely enjoyed it so much. I was just typing up the recipe to give to her, and I thought why not post it here as well? I call it by the rather odd name of Inaccessible Rice, which certain parties will remember came from the first time I ever made it for a dinner party. It is a somewhat strange combination of flavors, so I commented to I believe Bernie and Kindness, who were with me at the time, that I was worried it might be "inaccessible" to some of my diners who I knew to be slightly picky eaters. They never let me forget that-- it was kind of pretentious of me to use that word --and to this day we refer to this dish as Inaccessible Rice. I think it's delicious, and kind of sophisticated too, with a lovely mix of color when you bring it to the table.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cup mixed wild rice
  • 1 ½ c water
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup golden raisins
  • 1 cup pecans, crushed
  • 4 scallions, chopped
  • ½ c orange juice, fresh squeezed
  • 2 tsp orange zest, grated
  • 8 mint leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 c olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

Cook the rice according to your preferred method. I use the one on the rice package I buy, combining it with the water, butter, and salt. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and then stir once. (ONCE!) Allow to cook for fifteen minutes, or until all the water is gone. Then stir it thoroughly and allow to cool, at least a little. Then mix with all the other ingredients. It is intended to be served cold, but it’s just as good hot if you prefer that. I like to serve it with chicken, but it is good with pretty much anything.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...