Monday, December 19, 2011

Biweekly Theater Writing Challenge #11.3 - a letter from Rowan Loring, in The Tailor of Riddling Way


ROWAN: To my dear sister Emma. In this, the last letter I may write before I ship out to meet my fortune in the war, a brother ought to send a fond and affectionate farewell to his closest and most stalwart sister. But I fear I must instead speak to you of more dire matters that somehow must be dealt with. It concerns, as so many things do now, our father’s current course, but just when I believed I had the depths of it, I discovered something darker still. His work is catching up with him, but rather than learn the error of his ways he seeks only to escape. I told him he would have to pay the piper he’s been dancing to, but even I didn’t dream it would happen like this. He meant to keep it secret until the deed was done, but I trust him with nothing anymore, so with some careful digging I have unearthed it. The payment he offers is Bethany, to sell her to that wretched partner of his like a cow at market. He intends to marry her off and see her shipped halfway across the world whether she will or no to protect his vile scheme. His own daughter, and a child at that. Emma, we cannot let him see this through. Something must be done, but I shall too soon depart for the front to handle this alone... which is why I must write to you, dear sister. It tears me that I can do nothing for Bethany myself, but I discovered this too late; I am due at my assignment within the week, and I must be there to meet the ship. Therefore it is you that must act where I cannot. Poor Constance is too starved for Father’s approval to defy him in anything, and dear Bethany is bright and brave but still too much a child to escape this on her own. There is no one else, Emma. You must get her away somehow, out of Father’s grasp, and safe from the man he wants to sell her to. I wish to God I had time to make some arrangement or plan, but I fear all I have to give is this warning. Forgive me, dear Emma, that I lay this burden on you and can be of no more help to you than that. Forewarned is forearmed, they say, so I hope I’ve given you that small advantage at least. But please, for our sweet little sister’s sake, do what you can to spare her being spent like coin to pay our father’s debt. I know I can trust you with this above any other, as I would trust you with my own child that is about to be born. Farewell, and Godspeed to you both. Signed, your loving brother, Rowan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...