Thursday, March 26, 2009

Midsummer review

So Midsummer got reviewed in the Justice this week, and I have to say it's one of the most fair and accurate reviews I've ever seen in a Brandeis paper. The reviewer didn't criticize a single thing we weren't fairly sure ourselves wasn't a good choice, and she also liked a lot of things. She gave the right kind of review-- didn't let us off on things we legitimately failed on, but also gave credit where credit was due. She was very complimentary to Jared and me; pardon me for showing off, but here's an excerpt of the review regarding the two of us:

"The pairing of Jared Hite '10 and Phoebe Roberts '09 as Oberon and Puck, respectively, prove the most interestingaspect of the play. The two demonstratd their chemistry as Lear and Cordelia/the Fool in HTP's King lear, and in this reprise, Hite's penchant for royal command and Roberts's predilection for the uncanny wisdom of the underling succeeded once again. Roberts did particularly well, delivering Puck's final missive with originality and an appropriate level of creepiness. Perhaps the acting talents of the pair were heightened by the fact that they, out of the entire cast, dealt the best with the movement style required of them. Nevertheless, the odd choice to have Roberts rapidly crawl offstage awkwardly offset her otherwise sinuous and effective movements."

I am vey pleased by that, particularly her comment on how Jared and I work well together, both in Midsummer and Lear. I even feel vindicated by that last, only negative part of her comment on us, because, well-- I called it. Don't believe I didn't know that. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...