Friday, October 7, 2011

Biweekly Theater Writing Challenge #8 - Early Sundan monologue in blank verse


SUNDAN:

I feel today I am a man anew,
Standing here as I’ve never stood before.
I’ve served Lynesse, the dread duchess Ilan,
In martial venture on her honor’s fields,
And in her council chambers lent my voice.
No more sought I than plain becomes a man,
To do my liege the best I had in me,
But for my service she has lov’d me well.
Through blood and labor I’ve so prov’d myself
That she’s pronounced this day to honor me
‘Fore all the court her most true and loyal man.
And in the thoughts of this new man I find
A stranger courage than aught before had grown.
There is a woman, to all senses a lady,
That all men do know as Juliana.
She is without compare, a girl so bright
That I have fell so far in love with her
The earth would tremble at its breadth and break.
For joy I’ve been my lady’s constant friend,
But the deep truth I never dared to tell,
A secret I have closely held through all
Long ages knowing she would not in kind.   
Strange, but I no more can recall the time.
It feels as if there’s never Sundan lived
Who did not Juliana love. My God!
How can men have called me bold when in this
I’ve gone on so long a coward?
I have a soldier’s years, and led brave men
To hazard life and limb in war,
And yet I fear no foe upon the field
As I dread the measure of those matchless eyes.
But with turns the world has chang’d, and so have I;
No more that humble, fearful boy I was,
But commended now, esteemed by men.
As journeys course, and fortunes veer thus far,
I sense this just begins the turns ahead,
That what I’ve been shall be requite in kind.
A clever man must see when chances come
And damned be if I seize not mine now.
Once Lynesse proclaim my worth today I vow
I’ll speak to Juliana of my love.
Though it break and bow me else to try
To stand commended in my angel’s eyes,
And win that angel’s love as dearest prize.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...