Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Thirty seconds of choreography!

I finally bit the bullet and bought an alumni gym membership at Brandeis's Gosman Athletic Center. Until very recently the only criteria for admission was to flash a student ID at the kid sitting at the table by the door, and since I still have an ID that looks current, it was not obvious that I was no longer a student. I got away with doing that for over two years, until they switched the entrance policy to having to scan said ID in a card reader before you could be admitted. My ID is long since deactivated, so that was the end of that particular scam. An alumni gym membership costs a hundred and seventy-five dollars, which if you break that down on a per-month basis like most gyms is a great deal. It's just that my budget is tight enough that dropping that much money all at a shot is kind of painful. But I'm glad I did it, because I can start going again.

What I did with the very first day of my new membership is to commandeer the excellent dance studio and dance for an hour. I practiced ballet, and I also made my first real, solid progress on my choreography idea. I've been unable to get the idea of putting together an Avengers-themed dance production set to certain songs on the film soundtrack, with each dancer representing a different character, and even though it's kind of a silly idea I feel inspired and energized about it. So I want to see if I can do it. [info]katiescarlett29* and I are looking into venues and everything. But after about an hour of noodling around listening to Comeback by Redlight King, one of my favorites on the soundtrack and clearly the Captain America song, I hammered out about thirty seconds of solid choreography that I feel good about. I just kind of danced improvisationally, doing whatever came naturally as I listened, and then took whatever came out nicely (re: non-clumsily) I worked on refining into a series of steps. A slow, undisciplined process, perhaps, as I danced for about an hour and only came out with thirty seconds I could use, but it's only a three-minute-thirty-second song, so I just need to do that six more times, right? ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...