Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The height of hair fashion in the 1890s

I got my hair done tonight for my show. As a lady of the 1890s with a well-known reputation as a diva, Irene Adler styles herself only in the latest and most sophisticated of haute couture fashions. Such as this charming muffin-head, with a bun set on top.


I can't say I love it; I've always thought I was vastly better looking with my hair down than up even in the most elegant of styles. I modeled once for a guy who started pinning it up, took one look at me, and said, "Oh, THAT'S why you wear it down." Not exactly sure what he meant by that, but it didn't seem, ah, flattering. This way's also pretty muffin-y, as I pointed out. But it is period, and it got compliments of appreciation (perhaps ironic, who knows) from others in the cast. I will also have a little fall of false hair, not pictured here, styled into long loose curls that I will pin into the bun, to sweep down my shoulder for drama.

The only real downside is I have to learn how to do it myself. The hair lady showed me how, but she can't be there for the shows, so it's on me. It involves flipping my hair over my head, spraying it with a fixative, teasing it, bundling it up on the crown of my head, and twisting it into a bun. I've got very little ability or experience doing hair, so I'm a little bit nervous. I guess I'll have to practice in hopes I won't go onstage looking any sillier than I should be, given the style I'm attempting to wear. You have to promise, guys, that you'll tell me if my head muffin looks dumb.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...