Monday, May 28, 2012

Holmes tech

This weekend was load-in for Sherlock Holmes, and things went quite well for my first time doing this with a group other than Hold Thy Peace. I threw on my work clothes and reported for duty at the Natick Center for the Arts, which is a converted firehouse made into a very cool performance space. We spent Saturday and Sunday setting up the stage, building the set, and hanging the lights. I've picked up the ability to at least lend a hand to just about everything, but I was assigned to painting early on with the seventeen-year-old ASM and our Holmes's two young daughters. I think there may have been some of "let's not give the little girls the heavy lifting jobs" in that assignment, at which I roll my eyes, but I enjoyed the work and feel like I made a pretty solid contribution. Our assistant director Tom said, "I really admire your enthusiasm," to me, as I was jumping in to help wherever I could. That made me feel good, as I really do like tech week-- as I said to him, I want to do and make all these things that aren't feasible in my regular daily life, so tech week is my chance to build stuff or paint stuff and all other sorts of things of that nature. My best contribution here was that I was allowed to do the painting for the flats representing the interior of the gasworks. I was told to make the plain green look like aged, worn metal, so I took a sponge and dabbed it with black paint, then went over that with the other end of the sponge dipped in green paint. Then I smeared the whole thing together, and splattered some white flecks by Tom's suggestion. Somebody with more knowledge and experience will probably have to clean it up a bit, but as you can see from this picture, it doesn't look half-bad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...