Sunday, December 4, 2011

Fabric haul

Went fabric shopping this weekend, and finally found a place with decent prices that have more than just polyester. It's called Sewfisticated and it's in Somerville. If I remember correctly recommended it to me a while ago, but I only just got a chance to check it out. Jared took me there and I was really pleased to have finally found a place like I was looking for.

I mostly wanted to get some chiffon to make myself a ballet skirt. I was delighted at the place having real silk for reasonable prices per yard, but as this is technically a piece of athletic gear I decided synthetic would better serve. Kindness said I should go for something INTERESTING instead of boring and bland, and who am I to argue with his exquisite taste, so instead of a plain thing like my usual inclination, I chose this lovely black poly chiffon with a tan and magenta rose print.


I also picked up some black canvas to make a pocket on Jared's apron for practically nothing.


And this huge chunk of weathered tab leather just because I loved it and it was only ten bucks. Don't know what I'll do with it, but some cool costume might come of it.


I read a great sewing blog called Male Pattern Boldness, and the author Peter always uses thrifted bed sheets and other flea market cloth pieces for muslins. It means the price per yard is minuscule. I thought this was a great idea, and today I found two neat things I think I can use just for that purpose. The first is a sheer white curtain with great silky stripes.


And a big fabric swath of white with little blue squares. I think it's actually just fabric, though I have no idea what kind. Poly or a very cheap cotton? Some kind of blend?


I don't know what they'll be for, but I look forward to experimenting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...